Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Smoked Mozzarella Toast Breakfast


One of my favorite places to shop for groceries is Sunflower Market.  It used to be the place I shop for tidbits like dried apricots or peanut butter filled pretzels.  However, since I've been in charge of my own kitchen, it became the place I shop for cheap and fresh fruits.  Strawberries has been on sale for two weeks in a row.  I couldn't help getting a couple pounds of those babies of course.  One special spot I love to linger around looking for new finds is the cheese section.  They have a small basket filled with small leftover chunks of cheeses.  It is here that I found smoked mozzarella.  


I've always loved mozzarella, but smoked mozzarella was a first for me.  It was smoky, with a slightly browned outer layer.  Texture-wise it is similar to fresh mozzarella, except it's slightly more yellowish and has a full smoky flavor.  It lingered in my fridge for a couple of days, waiting for me to slice it up and do something with it.  I wanted to do something with it and strawberries, so here's my little adventure with it.  The result was a toast with crunchy sides and smoky, melty-cheesy center, accentuated with the sweetness of tomatoes and strawberries.

Tips:
1- When selecting strawberries, look for deeper colored ones with as little white areas around the top.
2- I used white bread slices, just because I had some that needs to be finished.  Whole wheat works just as great.
3- I served the toast along with a slice of smoked mozzarella on sunny-side-up egg, sauteed mushrooms, and tomato slices.  You decide what works for you :D
4- If you do now own a rolling pin, use the flat side of a big serving plate, or a big bottle works too.

Smoked Mozzarella Toast Breakfast

~1/4-lb smoked mozzarella, sliced
2 strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced
4-6 slices of bread, crust removed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 roma tomato, sliced


Place a slice of bread on a flat surface and roll to flatten with a rolling pin.
Repeat to flatten all slices of breads.
Lightly brush the flattened bread with olive oil, and pan fry til lightly browned.
Place a slice of tomato over the center of the bread, then a slice of mozzarella, followed by a couple slices of strawberries.
Place the bread slices on a baking tray lined with aluminum foil.
Place the tray in the oven under low broiler setting for about 3 minutes or until cheese is slightly melted.
Serve while the toast is warm.


2 comments: